Thursday, September 27, 2012

For Evie...

I wrote this a while ago and just hadn't brought myself around to posting it or showing anyone yet.  For some reason, this morning just feels like a good time...

For Evie...

I will not get to see you grow.

I’ll hold you for a moment and have to let you go.

Sweet little baby, how time moves so fast

Our first tender meeting will also be our last.

I wanted to buy you frilly dresses and bows

And paint pretty colors on your fingers and toes.

I wanted to watch you dance and run around at play

And make you feel better when your world seemed gray.

I would have delighted in your joy and cried in your grief

But our time on this world together will be so brief.

I don’t pretend to understand and I’m not afraid to cry.

I ask God every day the same question of “why?”

Why must I not get to see you grow?

Why must I hold you for a moment and let you go?

Sweet little girl, my heart’s treasure so dear,

Why are we not allowed to keep you right here?

All I can do is trust in God’s plan.

His power is greater than any of man.

I’ll rest in the comfort that one day I’ll see

You lovely in heaven, together eternally.

My niece, my Evie, I will not get to see you grow.

I’ll hold you for a moment and have to let you go. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts, Aunt Michelle. You are a dear person for loving your nephew and niece like you do. May God bless all the little children in the world with an aunt like you!

    ReplyDelete